Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Cartes Pokémon : la prochaine extension ...
Voir le deal

Unit 2 Cross purposes

jeanlouis
    Admin

Unit 2 Cross purposes Empty Unit 2 Cross purposes

Message  jeanlouis Sam 6 Sep - 17:43

UNIT 2 Cross purposes
    CHOOSE THE BEST WORD OR EXPRESSION TO MATCH THE DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS GIVEN BELOW

To Flag To Hop To Careen To Dodge To Screech To Pull over To Dart A Ditch

To ________________ somewhere means to rush forward in an uncontrollable way. (mainly AM)
    He stood to one side as they ____________ed past him.

If you __________ or if your spirits __________, you begin to lose enthusiasm or energy.His enthusiasm was in no way ___________ging. If you fly the __________, you show that you are proud of your country, or that you support a particular cause, especially when you are in a foreign country or when few other people do.
    Steve Crabb can fly the ___________ with distinction for Britain in Barcelona.

If a vehicle ____________s somewhere or if its tyres ___________, its tyres make an unpleasant high-pitched noise on the road. A black Mercedes ___________ed to a halt beside the helicopter. Also a noun.
    He heard the ___________ of brakes.
    When you ______________ something, you shout it in a loud, unpleasant, high-pitched voice.
    `Get me some water, Jeremy!' I ____________ed.= shriek

If you __________, you move along by jumping on one foot. Malcolm ___________ped rather than walked.
    Also a noun. `This really is a catching rhythm, huh?' he added, with a few little__________s.
    If you ____________somewhere, you move there quickly or suddenly. (INFORMAL) My wife and I were the first to arrive and __________ped on board. = jump

If you _____________, you move suddenly, often to avoid being hit, caught, or seen.
    We ___________ed behind a pillar out of sight of the tourists. If you ___________ something, you avoid it by quickly moving aside or out of reach so that it cannot hit or reach you. He desperately _________ed a speeding car trying to run him down. = sidestep If you _____________ something, you deliberately avoid thinking about it or dealing with it, often by being deceitful. He boasts of __________ing military service by feigning illness. = evade Also a noun. This was not just a tax __________ = evasion.

A ____________is a long narrow channel cut into the ground at the side of a road or field.
    If you ______________ something that you have or are responsible for, you abandon it or get rid of it, because you no longer want it. (INFORMAL) I decided to ____________the sofa bed.
    When a vehicle or driver ____________ s __________, the vehicle moves closer to the side of the road and stops there. He noticed a man behind him in a blue Ford gesticulating to ___________ _________.
    If the police ____________ ______________ a driver or vehicle, they make the driver stop at the side of the road, usually because the driver has been driving dangerously. The officers ___________ed him_________ after a high-speed chase.

If a person or animal ____________s somewhere, they move there suddenly and quickly. (WRITTEN)
    The girl turned and ____________ed away through the trees.
    If you ___________ a look at someone or something, or if your eyes ___________to them, you look at them very quickly. (LITERARY) She ___________ed a sly sideways glance at Bramwell.
    ______________s is a game in which you throw darts at a round board which has numbers on it.

La date/heure actuelle est Lun 20 Mai - 2:12