Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment : -28%
Précommande : Smartphone Google Pixel 8a 5G ...
Voir le deal
389 €

Unit 9 Unit 9 In the 20th century

jeanlouis
    Admin

Unit 9 Unit 9 In the 20th century Empty Unit 9 Unit 9 In the 20th century

Message  jeanlouis Sam 6 Sep - 14:09

UNIT 9 In the 20th century
    CHOOSE THE BEST WORD OR EXPRESSION TO MATCH THE DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS GIVEN BELOW

To Hide To Bark The Crux To Snarl To Nod To Grin To Glance

When a dog ______________, it makes a short, loud noise, once or several times. Don't let the dogs ________.
    A small dog ___________ at the seagull he was chasing .Also a noun. The Doberman let out a string of roaring _____________s. If you ___________ at someone, you shout at them aggressively in a loud, rough voice. I didn't mean to____________ at you. ___________ is the tough material that covers the outside of a tree. If you say that someone's ____________ is worse than their bite, you mean that they seem much more unpleasant or hostile than they really are. (INFORMAL) She was used to his invectives. Usually, his bark was far worse than his bite.

The _____________ of a problem or argument is the most important or difficult part of it which affects everything else. He said the ____________ of the matter was economic policy.

When an animal ____________, it makes a fierce, rough sound in its throat while showing its teeth.
    The dogs ________________led at the intruders. Also a noun. With a_____________, the second dog made a dive for his heel. If you ____________something, you say it in a fierce, angry way. `Let go of me,' he ______________ed. Also a noun. His eyes flashed, and his lips were drawn back in a furious ___________.
    A ___________ is also a disorganized mass of things. ...the _____________of logs and branches where she had gotten entangled...

If you _______________ something or someone, you put them in a place where they cannot easily be seen or found. He ____________d the bicycle in the hawthorn hedge. = conceal
    If you _____________or if you _____________yourself, you go somewhere where you cannot easily be seen or found. They __________d themselves behind a tree.

If you ___________, you move your head downwards and upwards to show that you are answering `yes' to a question, or to show agreement, understanding, or approval. `Are you okay?' I asked. She ________ed and smiled. Also a noun. She gave a________ and said, `I see'.
    In soccer, if a player ____________ the ball in a particular direction, they hit the ball there with their head. (BRIT, INFORMAL) Brian McClair _________ed in his twenty-third goal of the season.
    If you give someone the _____________, you give them permission to do something. (INFORMAL `Keep him outside till I give you the _________.' If a proposal is accepted on the ___________, it is accepted without being questioned or argued about. (BRIT, INFORMAL) Big issues are going through on the _______

When you ____________, you smile broadly . He ___________, delighted at the memory.
    Sarah tried several times to catch Philip's eye, but he just ____________ned at her.

If you ______________ at something or someone, you look at them very quickly and then look away again immediately. He __________ed at his watch. I __________ced back.
    If you ________________ through or at a newspaper, report, or book, you spend a short time looking at it without reading it very carefully. I picked up the phone book and ____________ced through it.

La date/heure actuelle est Dim 19 Mai - 19:54